What a great Saturday we had. Jared, Kelsie, Julianne, Kathy, Mary and even Jim and I had a wonderful time dyeing some yarn. I had 5 skeins of sock yarn, Kathy had 1, we had some dk weight yarn, and even some worsted weight. We started out around 12:00 and we dyed until 6:00. Everyone had a turn. Jim supervised and was a great help with organization. I started it out as I was the only one who had ever dyed and I had a custom request from Cheryl for a swap that she is in. She needed yellow and green yarn. Then Jared was up. He wanted to do his blue, but not solid blue. He used Navy, Blue and we even mixed those together so that he had a third shade that we called Medium Blue. It was fab. Then it was Julianne's turn. She also used the Medium Blue and the regular Blue but she added the two shades of purple, Regular Purple and Brite Purple. Again a great looking skein of yarn. Kelsie was next. She used her own unique technique. She painted the skein long ways. First Scarlet, then Orange, then Yellow. I can't wait to see what that looks like caked up.
We also decided that we would try dyeing like the Native Americans did. Kelsie got busy picking black raspberries and Jared went looking for birch leaves. The raspberries looked and smelled yummy, the birch leaves not so much so we added coffee and tea bags to make the yarn a little browner. It worked just great.
Then Mary got to work. She picked Scarlet, Blue and Black for her yarn. She was very very precise in her work. Making sure that each color was exactly the same size. As always it was exactly the way she wanted it. Kathy went next. She also used Scarlet and Orange and a tiny bit of Yellow but with totally different results. Great!
Then it was my turn. I did an Orange and two shades of Purple. Not sure I love it. Then I did a rainbow one. Now as a small child I learned a poem that went, Red, Orange, Green, Blue, shining Yellow, Purple too. All the colors that you know live up in the rainbow. The kids all protested that was not the correct way to do it....BUT I won! Next it was on to a Scarlett one that I splattered with black spots and another raspberry one that I added some Purple too. OOO and Jared did a completely black skein of some 2 ply to go along with the 2 ply that we dyed brown. By the end we were covered in dye (sorry Julie) and very tired but very happy. Please check out the Dyeing Party Photo Album for all the photos.